Open Is as Open Does: How to Use Open Content in a Personalized Interactive Museum ExhibitHow-to Session
Erik van Tuijn, Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision, Netherlands, Karen Drost, Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision, The Netherlands, Maarten Brinkerink, Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision, Netherlands
Open is as open does. Open content has been a hot topic in heritage for several years. The Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision has long been a front runner when it comes to supporting open standards and free re-use of our collections. Surprisingly enough, we never tried it the other way around: using open content to create an exhibit. So when we started to develop an exhibition celebrating the 50th anniversary of 3FM – one of Holland’s main public pop radio channels – we asked ourselves: would we be able to create a personalized, interactive videomapping exhibit using mainly open content? During a How-To-Session Karen Drost and Maarten Brinkerink will dive into how we managed this, and share what we learned.
- L.B. Baltussen (Lotte) , J. Oomen (Johan), M. Brinkerink (Maarten), M. Zeinstra (Maarten) and N. Timmermans (Nikki), ‘Open Culture Data: Opening GLAM Data Bottom-up’, 31 january 2013, (Presented at the Museums and the Web 2013 (April 2013), Portland, OR, USA), http://publications.beeldengeluid.nl/pub/47
- L.B. Baltussen (Lotte) , M. Brinkerink (Maarten) , N. Timmermans (Nikki) and M. Zeinstra (Maarten), ‘Open Culture Data position paper’, 23 April 2013, (Presented at the Open Data on the Web, London, 2013 (April 2013), Campus London, Shoreditch, UK),
- J. Oomen (Johan), H. Verwayen (Harry) , N. Timmermans (Nikki) and L. Heijmans (Lieke), ‘Images for the Future: Unlocking the Value of Audiovisual Heritage’, 31 march 2009, (Presented at the Museums and the Web 2009 (April 2008), Indianapolis, Indiana, USA)
- M. Brinkerink (Maarten), ‘DUTCH CULTURAL HERITAGE REACHES MILLIONS EVERY MONTH’, 17 June 2015, blogpost, https://www.beeldengeluid.nl/en/blogs/research-amp-development-en/201506/dutch-cultural-heritage-reaches-millions-every-month
- J. De Vos (Jesse), ‘SOUND AND VISION ON THE FUTURE OF VIDEO ON WIKIPEDIA’, 23 September 2014, blogpost, https://www.beeldengeluid.nl/en/blogs/research-amp-development-en/201409/sound-and-vision-future-video-wikipedia